Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why I love Australia

It's been a while since I've posted something here (no shit sherlock!) and even longer since I've been to Australia. Starting a new job mid march gave me the opportunity for a big trip before landing in a normal life again, and it seemed only reasonable to go visit an old and almostforgotten love of mine.

It only took me a few hours in Sydney to feel like I've come home after a long trip abroad. And now, a few days later, I'm beginning to think that Australia was one of the worst choices to travel to before starting a new job. Why? Because when you go travelling in such a situation, make sure to choose a location that gives you the chance of getting bored and homesick after three weeks. Instead I picked the only two cities in the world that have been marked as "favorites" in my trip advisor calender for over 5 years now.

How come? Well, I've collected a few examples that in combination just make me feel happy:
1. The climate. Not only am I enjoying heat and mild winters, but you should see how amazing my hair looks after washing. For hours on end!
2. So far, Australia is the only country in the world where I feel equally safe crossing a random street as in Switzerland.
3. Earl Grey. You get what you order, and it's good,and if you order it with milk, you will get a little jug of milk rather than coffee creamer. (booh on that most other places (e.g. every non-british influenced country in the world))
4. Diving
5. People. Cordial, uncomplicated, chatty and relaxed
6. Beers. Because there's nothing like a beer after a hot day. Or during a hot day. Or a not so hot day.
7. People II: can't think of any other places with such a high concentration of good looking people (*cough* tan bearded guys in bermudas) to stare at while...
8. ...enjoying some tasty food at one of the cafes in Glebe.

Sydney has a lot of interesting things to offer, like that free short film festival I'll check out tonight to meet some fellow couch surfers. For any of you who might want to see a handsrßtand picture in front of the opera house, I'll have to ask you for some more patience. It has yet to and will be done. Until then, have a nice time in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment