Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chutneys, Bitters and Mystical Fruits Part 1

I don't know what it is about spring, but apart from people falling in love, I also notice a rising enthusiasm in me and my surroundings to conquer the battlefields of the kitchen again.


This year, my exploring area was set when I went to get lunch in a vegetarian restaurant and indulged myself in a bite of mango chutney. Sweet, spicy, slightly warm, and a jam-like texture with mango chunks...yum!


Just like that, my aim was set. Chutney it is, then.


While looking for interesting chutneys to start with, I stumbled over all sorts of funny ingredients. Which meant for me that my quest of making chutney just became a treasure hunt. And it made me think of my gamer's past, when playing Zelda and having to decide whether to go for the side quests in order to complete the game to perfection or leave it and finish with whatever I got.


I take pride in my cooking skills. (much more so than in the game, I still haven't solved those riddles. Which makes me think of this ...)


And, well, the first chutney I was going to make, a strawberry-chili-chutney, included tasmanian pepper and honey vinegar. (Unwillingly, a picture of Taz and Winnie the Pooh dancing through a strawberry field flashes through my mind...) True story: the pepper was easier to find than the vinegar! (I found it in the food factory of Jelmoli, while apparently Coop has it in their fine food section, too.)


As for the honey vinegar, I'm still trying to find a practical solution, since it is part of many an interesting chutney. Meanwhile, I got a condiment from Coop (probs only available in bigger stores) and my better half found some of the precious (pricy) fluid in Globus downstairs. Hooray, and I made it!









No comments:

Post a Comment