Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chutneys, Bitters and Mystical Fruits Part 2

After the successful fabrication of my first chutney, i felt as if I was becoming a witch. 


Actually, there's nothing magical about the feeling but if I think about it, I guess if I would continue making chutney, I'd get a hump on my back from beding over the pot and savouring the complementing scents. And there's the stirring. When making chutney, at a certain point it's all about stirring, or you will burn it. Guilty of killing your own chutney by neglect. 


You don't want that to happen. Really.


Anyway. So leaving the chutney part aside for a moment, as I mentioned previously, there are other people getting involved in kitchen magic in spring. (What is it about magic here? No magic involved!)


Almost simultaneously to my newly discovered hobbyhorse, my better half Christian suddenly discovered his 2012 exploring area. Being a cocktail fanatic, there is always the issue of cocktail bitters. Don't frown, they are important for good cocktails. I mean, there has to be a reason to those recipes that ask for sarsaparilla, horehound or grains of paradise. Being non-native english speaking, I had of course to look them up. 


Here's what I found:
sarsaparilla - Sarsaparille
horehound - Andorn
grains of paradise - Paradieskorn


aha.


Well, but I take pride in my abilities to find things. So after some more things I had a rough idea about how those things are also called in german, which didn't make it any easier for me to figure out where to get them. Some of them are (or were) even used as drugs. Thus, I guess it can't do any harm if I ask in a drug-store ... 


... to be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment